Friday, August 26, 2011

Getting the respect

Today I finally had some time to go down to the horses and work with Gingy a little.  It's been quite awhile since I've been able to visit him because of trying to get going with school and doing soccer.  I have had a couple of other sessions with Gingy here and there, but there certainly hasn't been much consistency to it!

What I'm noticing the most right now is how important getting respect with Gingy is.  More than I need to baby him right now I need to set boundaries for him.  I keep thinking, "but what is it's the bond that is lacking and that's why he doesn't want to be with me."  But today showed be that it's really just a respect thing.

When I came down this morning I decided to just sit with him for awhile in order to get feel for where he's at right now.  At first he kind of blew me off and ignored me, but after awhile he came over to hang out.  He started getting really pushy so I sent him away forcefully.  He nibbled around in the dirt for awhile then he came back again, but this time with quite a bit more respect.  Still after a good long stretch of standing nicely with me he chose to be disrespectful again, so away I sent him.  The third time he came back was the best and he stayed with me the longest before he simply lost interest and went back to nibbling.  I sat with him for awhile longer before going back up to the house, but in my mind it was a very good session although we didn't do anything.  After all, in this session I learned that Gingy had a greater desire to hang out with me when I told him he had to be respectful.  Now I feel like maybe the next thing to do is go back to online and work through some of the patterns, then maybe add in some riding as well.  At any rate I think I have a plan and that was goal for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment