Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Gingy, we can do this!

Hey just a short post today :)  I was pretty tired, but after lots of thinking I made up my mind to go down and work with my buddy because it would be a highlight in my day.  It took me awhile to come to this decision because sometime I get stuck thinking about all of the supposed rules out there for working with horses and that completely blocks the fun out of the equation :(  Not to worry though I have bested my paranoia at least for today hehe! 

So back to the session.  I got Gingy out, but as a test of his interest I collected all of my tack and walked to pasture gate through the corral to see if he would follow.  He did although perhaps he thought he was going out to eat LOL.  He seemed nicely inclined toward circling so we worked on getting a steady trot for five laps.  I can hardly say we worked on it though because he trotted five whole laps with zero correction, plus belly of the rope was dragging along on the ground for half the time!  After that I asked him to try jumping.  The jump was rather high and unfortunately he gave up.  When I got something that was "so so"  I lowered the jump and worked from there.  That he could manage so we moved back up to a bigger jump.  This time when I asked him I could tell that he was simply giving up because he would rather eat.  I set my goal at two laps with the jump one way and at last we achieved it.  I had to tag him on the bum several times when he stopped right up against the jump to snatch grass, but I know that he can take that(although with a horse like Marsy I definitely would not do that!).  After jumping practice we checked out the weave.  Gingy was getting a little tired at this point so we did the weave using the driving from behind technique.  I am proud to say that he as made progress with this in that he pays attention to me not the grass 90 percent of the time instead of vice versa LOL.  Still we had some directional challenges and his energy began come up again too.  Rather than fight with him from behind I switched over to weaving at the trot with me running beside him.  We still ran into a lot of problems, thus I reduced speed to the walk and that's where the health changes began.  We tackled the issue direction first, then we moved speed( had to get him in sync with me because he kept moving to far in front, an honest mistake), after that it was just a matter of waiting for him to put a 110 percent of his effort into the game.  Gingy is so funny because just when you think it's time to take the pressure off of him he does something cuts his effort down to 90 percent.  When he does that I just have to be like, "oh bummer, well try again."  The important thing is that we both know what he is trying to do and that way I don't feel confused and frustrated.  Okay so much for a short post, but today was just so awesome that I had to keep writing and writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment